The first time I had ever heard of Chris Twellmann, the German Abe, was last year in the fall. I follow many pages and groups, along with all the news, about The Walking Dead. It is on one of these, that I found a photo of Chris. I was astounded! I couldn’t believe and still can’t, how much he looks like Michael Cudlitz. As you all know, Cudlitz portrays Abraham Ford, in our most beloved show.
This is the interview I did with Chris. He is a real sweetheart, and a very generous man!
1.Tell us a little about yourself, age, where from, what do you do for work?
My name is Chris, actually I live in Germany and I am a marketing consultant. Hobby: Abe Cosplayer …. so no time for other hobbies. I am 48 on my ID, but have a 30 year old heart.
2. How long have you been cosplaying Abe, and how did you get started?
I started last year in September at the WeekendOfHell.com in Germany. Somebody posted a Picture of me and Cudlitz on a big Facebook Fanpage in Germany, in August 2015, and the response of the fans was amazing. So I started the first professional photo shoots, and so it grows more and more.
3. Had you ever heard of The Walking Dead or watched it? Have you read the comics?
Before August 2015, I never heard anything about the Walking Dead. Now of course I watch the show. Thank God we have Netflix! And no, I haven’t read the comics yet.
4. Have you been attending any Cons or Walker Stalkers? Do you plan to do more?
Yes, I started with German con like Weekend of Hell / German Comic Con / Fantasy Basel in Switzerland. The first WSC was London. And since May, I visited Con in the US like Megacon Orlando / Fan Expo Dallas and of course WSC´s. I was in NJ and will visit the WSC in Philly and Atlanta. Let´s see what´s coming up next…… If you need an ABE … here I am 😉
5. How many of the cast have you met?
I met the most of main Cast, of course Michael (first time at WSC London) and that was the most important thing to meet my “twin“. One day at the end of last year I realized that MC followed me on twitter. So we send a few messages, and I told him looking forward to see him in London.
So a few weeks later my travel office told me, that they forgot to order my WSC tickets. Last chance was Michael. I wrote him, told him the story and he organized it that I got tickets for WSC London.
D-DAY in London. A few people were waiting at his booth and he was writing autographs …. I came to his booth, he saw me, signed another autograph, and then he came to me, said hello and gave me a hug. All people around were a little bit confused. But it was great, like looking in a mirror. The funny thing was, that I stood there in private clothes and not in cosplay.
So when Michael had a break we had lunch together at the green room, and talked about alot of different things…. It was an amazing weekend and Michael is an great guy. Down to earth and like you and me. More people should be like him. A good example for me: Stay down to earth, no matter how well-known or famous you are!!
Have you met the other Cosplayers? I met other Cosplayers….sure and we had a lot of fun together…… I was at different cons at the booth with Cecil Garner, who plays Rick Grimes.
And last weekend, I met Nearly Negan and the Daryl Dude in Senoia. It was one of my greatest Cosplay experiences. These guys are amazing, and we had so much fun, and it was really insane. Hope to spend more time with these guys. When somebody would take a video of us, it would be the best TWD comedy ever
6. What do you plan to do with your new found fame? I am not fame, I´m just Chris.
7. Do you cosplay for hire? It depends on for what kind of reason. I do not do everything for money. So now, Abe Cosplay is in the library…. but wait… it depends on the right Rosita!
8. Tell us any funny things that have happened to you since becoming Abe.
OH OH…. ok. So when I was at WSC London, I was drinking my coffee and relaxed a little bit. Chad Coleman came in, said hello to everybody and then he came to me, gave me a hug and said: “Hey man… good to see you brother!“ I looked into his eyes, was a little bit confused and said: “Ehm Chad…. I´m not Michael…. I am Chris (I have to say that I was sitting there in my private clothes). And just a week ago…. I was driving from Peachtree City to Senoia, and I was a little bit too fast… of course, I am a German :-D. So the police stopped me. The Officer came to the window, started laughing and asked for my driving license. He was a little bit confused cause he had mistaken me for Michael. End of the story was: No ticket, but a photo and autograph. There are more of these short stories, but I think it´s too much for now.
9. Have woman been receptive to you as Abe? Let’s make a long story short. In September 2015, I had 1200 Facebook friends….Now I have 5000. But to be honest, I am the same guy as one year ago. So if a girl wants Abe… Season 7 starts in October, or she can choose Netflix. When a woman is interested, then she should choose Chris!
10. How have the fans been treating you? 99% are great. So really, the most times, I have only positive experiences!
11. Do you plan on doing this long term? Easy thing….As long the fans want to see the German Abe,Ii will do it. So it´s almost not my decision. So long as I have fun with it, I will do it. Let´s see what will happen in the future. Maybe I should have a discussion with Negan!
12. What do your family or friends thing of this? My family is sitting on clouds, and they watch down, laughing about that stuff. All my friends have fun with it. If not, they wouldn’t be my friends.
13. Do you plan on doing any charity functions? Which ones, and where? Oh, I just did in Senoia. For the “Animal Hope & Wellness Foundation“ Animalhopeandwellness.org And just yesterday, I got a request for a charity con in May next year. It´s for raising money for a private school for autistic kids.
14. Where can we get in touch with you, and where will you appear next?
The next Con is the Charity Con in Orlando on the 17th September. Fanfest. I will be there with Scott Spillman.
Follow me on Twitter @OutlanderFaith
Subscribe to Threeifbyspace for instant notice of new posts and use our Social Share Buttons!