Previously on The Vampire Diaries, people were killed, bitten or had their hearts broken, and some of them all of the above.
Now, Caroline, Elena and Bonnie (dead or not, she still wants to be a part of the gang) head off to college.
This season feels a bit like a reset, a bit like Buffy the Vampire Slayer did in its fourth season when they left high school behind and trekked off to college.
Here’s hoping the transition goes smoothly.
1. Elena and Caroline; even away at college, Caroline is still trying to get Elena to go back to Stefan ‘just as soon as she’s over this annoying Damon phase.’ Which is, sort of a crappy thing to do on several levels. But, that’s Caroline’s sort of caring. Also, they have a roommate, Megan, who might be evil, or not, it’s hard to tell at this point.
2. Bonnie’s dead, but not letting herself forget about college. Maybe she should look into resurrecting herself so her coursework actually counts. Or, she could swear vengeance on Silas, that would also be a good way to spend her time.
3. Stefan is hallucinating conversations with Damon, who advises him to turn off the humanity switch so that he can get over some of this pain and guilt. Basically, Stefan’s life is not great, and is about to get worse. As if being stuck underwater wasn’t bad enough. Stefan is an overachiever in angst and misery. But, he does get a hallucination of Elena arguing for him to ‘keep his humanity.’ Tug o’ war, here we come.
4. Damon is happy. Well, we know that won’t last long. Still, there’s the obligatory shirtlessness, him dealing with Silas, and snarking all over the place. For the moment, Damon’s life is not terrible.
5. Katherine: still mortal, hating it, and likely to be engaged in mischief in 3,2,1, would you look at that?
6. Jeremy Gilbert: lying to classmates and pretending to having faked his own death committed arson in one fell swoop. Also, Damon Salvatore is acting as his big brother, because that won’t go wrong. Not in Mystic Falls.
7. Liz Forbes. Awesome, even when people mess with her head.
8. Silas, creepy and creepier. Apparently consuming huge amounts of human blood lets him play games like ‘Silas Says.’ What does he do next? Oh, kills Bonnie’s dad. Not only that, but he’s psychic, and acocrding to him, Stefan is his doppelgänger. Terrible news, everybody!
9. Matt ‘s eyes turned black briefly after he got involved in some seriously hinky stuff. Which just goes to prove that hanging around Rebekah wasn’t the best idea, and that his storyline may have gone from ‘being the lone human’ to ‘messed up the same as everybody else.’
10. Damon isn’t sharing the fact that Silas is back, Katherine is causing trouble, etc. Better to tell somebody everything than have them find out later, but where would be the drama in that?
Some good points, upcoming plot threads are emerging, and when relationships and lives inevitably go wrong, it promises to end in carnage. As is the norm on The Vampire Diaries.