Can you believe it!!! Two weeks from now, 14 short days, we’ll be pushing and shoving our way into the San Diego Convention Center for Preview Night! (Don’t try this if you don’t have Preview passes, it won’t end up well for you.) We’re starting to get some panel news, some of the autograph signer info, and some details about events! Here’s a round up of what’s in my inbox and some other stuff that I can find. Note that unless otherwise stated, panel rooms are at the San Diego Convention Center, and the days mentioned are the week of the convention. Panelists, times, and rooms are subject to change. Check the scheduled when published at comic-con.org. This is by no means a complete list.
Fear The Walking Dead: panelists include cast members Kim Dickens, Frank Dillane, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Colman Domingo, Mercedes Mason, Sam Underwood, Daniel Sharman, and Michael Greyeyes; EP/Showrunner David Erickson, EPs Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Greg Nicotero, and David Alpert. Moderated by Talking Dead host Chris Hardwick. 11:15-12:15 on Friday, Hall H. Autographs from 12-1 on Saturday at MLK Plaza.
The Walking Dead: panelists include Andrew Lincoln, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Norman Reedus, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Melissa McBride, Lennie James, Seth Gilliam, Alanna Masterson, Khary Payton, and Chandler Riggs, EP/Showrunner Scott Gimple; EPs Robert Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd and David Alpert; and EP/Director/Special Effects Make-up Supervisor Greg Nicotero. Moderated by Chris Hardwick. 12:15-1:15 pm on Friday, Hall H.
Preacher: Panelists include Dominic Cooper, Ruth Negga, Joseph Gilgun, Ian Colletti and Graham McTavish; EPs Seth Rogen and EP/author Garth Ennis. 4-5 pm Friday, Hall H.
Outlander: Listed here to squeeze between Graham McTavish (who will not be on the Outlander panel because it conflicts with Preacher) and Ron Moore. Participants are not yet announced, except we know that Rik Rankin will be in the house; depends on film schedules and grandchild births. Friday, 5-6 pm, Ballroom 20.
Battlestar Galactica Reunion! with creator Ron Moore and cast members Tricia Helfer, Katee Sackhoff, Mary McDonnell, Grace Park and more. Thursday, 2:30-3:30, Ballroom 20.
SYFY Hosts The Great Debate: expert panel (Adam Savage, Orlando Jones, Aisha Tyler, John Barrowman and more) will have the final word (or not!) on important topics like Star Trek or Star Wars? Did Han or Greedo shoot first? And just who was the most influential captain of all time? Thursday, 1:15-2:15, Ballroom 20.
SYFY will host panels for:
- the upcoming Superman prequel series Krypton Saturday, 1:15-1:145, Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront
- the graphic novel adaptation Happy! Saturday, 2:45-3:45, Room 6BCF
- The Expanse, Saturday, 5-5:50, Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront
- The Magicians, Saturday, 4-4:50, Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront
- 12 Monkeys, Thursday, 7:15-8:15, Room 6BCF
- Sharknado, Friday, 6:45-7:45, Room 6DE
- Van Helsing, Thursday, 3-4, Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront
- Wynonna Earp, Saturday, 2:30-3:30, Room 5 AB
- Z Nation, Thursday, 4-5, Indigo Ballroom, Hilton Bayfront
- Dark Matter, Thursday, 8:15-9:15, Room 6DE
- Ghost Wars (upcoming new series), Saturday, 5:30-6:30, Room 6A
Stargate: Stargate is returning to SDCC for the first panel in 7 tears! Host Damian Beurer (Legion M co-founder), David Read (Gateworld) and special surprise guests will discuss the fandom and explore the next chapter in the Stargate Universe. Exclusive news, sneak peeks, and giveaways! Thursday, 6-7 pm, Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina Grand, Room 1 & 2.
Women Who Kick Ass: Entertainment Weekly presents its first-ever Icon Edition of the fan favorite panel featuring Atomic Blonde star and producer Charlize Theron. EW Senior Writer Sara Vilkomerson sits down for a no holds barred conversation. Saturday, 2-2:45, Hall H.
Brave New Warriors: EW’s laugh-filled conversation with TV’s hottest male heroes: Rodrigo Santoro, Westworld; Ricky Whittle, American Gods; Rik Rankin, Outlander, Christopher Meloni, Happy!; and Colin O’Donoghue, Once Upon a Time. Friday, 1:45-2:30, Ballroom 20.
Twin Peaks: Friday, 2:45, Hall H. No details on guests. The notoriously tight-lipped David Lynch neither confirms nor denies his attendance.
Doctor Who and Dirk Gently: There’s a good possibility that Peter Capaldi will be on hand to say goodbye in person. Sad sad, as your friendly correspondent loves Mr. Capaldi. But I’m not sure I’m battling my way into Hall H. Both are presumed to be scheduled for Sunday, but as the final list hasn’t come out yet, no more definite info is available.
Nickelodeon brings three decades’ worth of iconic characters and shows to life! Nick will showcase its fan-favorite characters and popular shows with one-of-a-kind activations, talent signings, interactive experiences and panels. These include:
- Rocko’s Modern Life: Return to Earth!, a reunion with the original voice actors and a look at the upcoming TV special; Thursday, 10 am- 12 pm, Room 6A
- Hey Arnold! From Hillwood to the Jungle, a first look at the new TV movie with past and present casts. Friday, 11:45-12:45, Room 6A.
- SpongeBob SquarePants panel, Saturday, 11:15-12:15, Room 6A.
Amazon Prime Video panels:
- Danger & Eggs: featuring moderator Chris Hardwick and panelists Creator/EP Shadi Petosky and Mike Owens, and cast members Aidy Bryant, Eric Knobel, Jasika Nicole, Charlyne Yi and Stephanie Beatriz. Sunday, 1-2 pm, Room 24ABC.
- Niko and the Sword of Light: moderator Tom Kenny, panelists EPs Rob Hoegee, Jim Bryson and Bobby Chiu; cast members Kari Wahlgren, Dee Bradley Baker and Jim Cummings. Sunday, 2-3 pm, Room 24ABC.
- The Tick: moderator Ralph Garman; panelists EPS Barry Josephson, David Fury and Ben Edlund; cast members Peter Serafinowicz, Griffin Newman, Jackie Earle Haley, Valorie Curry, Yara Martinez, Brendan Hines, Scott Speiser and Michael Cerveris. Friday, 4:45-5:45, Room 6A.
- Autograph signings: drawing for line tickets on Sunday from 9-10 am in the autograph area, Sails Pavilion, autographs Sunday 3-4 pm in the Sails Pavilion, booth AA05.
Knopf Doubleday Publishing will host the following authors (watch for additional panel location information when the official schedule is published):
- Daryl Gregory, Spoonbenders – “for fans of Michael Chabon, Lev Grossman, and Emily St. John Mandel. It tells the story of a generations-spanning family of psychics–both blessed and burdened by their abilities—who must use their powers to save themselves from the CIA, the local mafia, and a skeptic hell-bent on discrediting them in this hilarious, tender, magical novel about the invisible forces that bind us.” Mr. Gregory will speak on the Genre-Bending panel at 1 pm on Saturday; 2 booth signings at Penguin Random House booth 1515-1.
- Gabe Hudson, Gork: The Teenage Dragon: “Gork the Teenage Dragon is a wildly comic, beautifully imagined, and deeply heartfelt debut novel that shows us just how human a dragon can be. In the words of Gary Shtyngart, “Gork, the Teenage Dragon is jam-packed with outrageous storytelling and soulful humor in the glorious American tradition of Kurt Vonnegut and Mark Twain.” Mr. Hudson will speak on the panel about writing humor on Thursday at 3 pm; two booth signings at Penguin Random House booth 1515-1.
- Sonny Liew, The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye (graphic novel): “A startlingly brilliant tour de force….Although the premise sounds simple—it purports to be the biography of a fictional comic book artist—what Liew does with it is anything but. At once dizzyingly meta and deeply heartfelt, the book spans 80 years, and in its complicated layering, reminded me of everything from Maus and The Tin Drum to, believe it or not, Ulysses…. Probably the greatest work of art ever produced in Singapore.” (John Powers, Fresh Air). Mr. Liew will be on 4 panels; 2 booth signings at Penguin Random House, 1515-1.
- Daniel Wilson, Clockwork Dynasty: From the New York Times bestselling author of Robopocalypse comes an epic new thriller, about a race of ageless, human-like machines hiding among us for untold centuries. He will speak on a panel about LIving in the Future on Saturday at 3 pm; in-booth signing at Penguin Random House, 1515-1.
- Karen Tidbeck, Amatka: A surreal and shockingly original debut novel set in a dystopian world shaped by language–literally. Vanja, a government worker, leaves her home city of Essre for the austere, wintry colony of Amatka on a research assignment. It takes some adjusting: people act differently in Amatka, and citizens are monitored for signs of subversion. Ms. Tidbeck will speak on Living in the Future on Saturday at 3 pm; in-booth signing at Penguin Random House, 1515-1.
- Christopher Rice, Ramses The Damned: Christopher is the son of Anne Rice and his new book, RAMSES THE DAMNED, was written with her. The tale of Ramses the Great continues . . . A glorious, fantastical romp of ancient times and the Edwardian age–set in 1914, that began with Anne Rice’s extravagant and compelling bestselling saga, The Mummy, and continues with this long-awaited new novel in the Ramses series. He will be moderating the Living in the Future panel on Saturday at 3 pm; in-booth signing at Penguin Random House, 1515-1.
First Second Books will host Guests of Honor Shannon Hale, Real Friends, and Box Brown, Tetris. They will also feature authors Landis Blair, The Hunting Accident; Nichi Chanani, Pashmina; Mike Lawrence, Star Scouts; Molly Ostergag, Shattered Warrior; Tillie Walden, Spinning; Scott Westerfeld, Spin Zone; and Alison Wilgus, Science Comics: Flying Machines. Booth 2800-2.
EVENTS & BOOTHS
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: 20 Years of Slaying, Fan Event. An evening of Buffy-themed giveaways, trivia and cosplay contests. Saturday, 6-9 pm, 536 Market St. (Gaslamp Quarter). Details on the official Buffy Facebook page. Tickets to the event are sold out, but the event will be open to fans in line after all ticketed fans have entered.
- all new episode of the grindhouse series Blood Drive, Saturday, 8-9 pm, Horton Theatre
- Premiere episode of No-End House, the next installment in Syfy’s horror anthology Channel Zero, Saturday, 9:30-10:30 pm, Horton Theater
SYFY events – these sound like major fun!
- SYFY fan parties – two nights of first-come-first-served bashes. Themed parties feature photo booths, hourly surprises, live performances, and more. Thursday and Saturday, at the Children’s Museum
- Superfan nuptials! Who doesn’t want to be married by Orlando Jones? He’ll make fans’ dreams come true, as he presides over pop-up nuptials at TBD locations throughout the weekend.
- Trivia trolleys – test your sci-fi knowledge and compete to win prize money and other giveaways on SYFY trolleys roaming the streets of San Diego.
- Cosplay karaoke buses: Take the stage – and the mic – to belt out your favorite sci-fi theme songs on SYFY buses traveling throughout the city. You might even be surprised by one of your favorite stars!
- Cosplay repair carts: Get an expert makeup touch-up or costume repair at these roaming carts, designed to ensure that all cosplaying ‘con-goers are at their camera-ready best.
- A SYFY drumline marching throughout the streets of the Gaslamp Quarter, playing sci-fi theme songs and commemorating major moments in science fiction history.
- The Nerd Party lives on! SYFY is partnering with Zachary Levi to co-host his annual invitation-only Friday night party.
Survios, VR Developer: Survios will bring its flagship action thriller Raw Data and game-changing adrenaline platformer Sprint Vector to SDCC. Both bring “active VR” to the forefront and let players feel like they are the hero in adventure films unlike anything Hollywood can produce. Check out both titles at the Omni Hotel, 675 L St., each day of the show. Check out video for Raw Data here and for Sprint Vector here.
The LAIKA Experience: Animation studio LAIKA (Coraline, ParaNorman, The Boxtrolls, Kubo and the Two Strings) brings a pop-up exhibit to the heart of the Gaslamp Quarter. Free admission to the exhibit, which will feature props, puppets, monsters, and sets from the films, as well as fan art, a photo/GIF booth, and daily drawings for Nike’s LAIKA-themed shoes. Merchandise available for sale. Bespoke Fifth Avenue Storefront, 520 Fifth Ave.
TICK Takeover: “Citizens” will have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of The Tick at Amazon Prime Video’s Tick Takeover, a movie set level design experience at the MLK Promenade, directly across from the Convention Center.
Follow me on Twitter: @ErinConrad2 and @threeifbyspace
Like us on Facebook or Subscribe
Share this article using our Social Share buttons above!